Tuesday 19 January 2010

Make It Kinetic.



Morning! Yesterday morning I stupidly banged my little toe on a doorframe and managed to break it. As a result I'm currently in a painkiller induced fugue, and not up to concentrating too much on writing the blog. Hopefully then, you'll forgive me today for falling back on an old staple; the classic album. This may well be number 1 of an indefinite series.

Note I said classic album, not forgotten classic. Most albums that get classified as forgotten or 'lost' really aren't, they're just languishing outside of the mainstream. I mean if I was to mention 'Snowball' by The Field Mice to the majority of people on the street they'd not know what I was talking about (and their loss really) but if I talk about The Field Mice on anorak or any other indie pop type forum, then pretty much everyone will know what I mean. It's not a lost or forgotten record, it's found a niche. So yes, which pontification brings me nicely to my own little post on a classic album today. I've chosen Thunder Up, by The Sound.

The Sound were active between 1979 - 89 musically they're more often then not pegged as post-punk which in terms of when the band were active - if not completely in regards to their, ahem, sound - is pretty accurate. The band shared a record label with Echo and The Bunnymen and played with, Sheffield's mostly forgotten men, The Comsat Angels.

The Sound released 5 record between 1980 and 1987, most of which met with plaudits and wide critical acclaim, but the band never seemed to make the leap into the public conciousness, the way other bands of the time like Joy Division and The Bunnymen did. I mention those two in particular, because they were the most similar in musical style to The Sound yet managed to break out of the niche I mentioned earlier, whilst The Sound didn't. I don't know why.

There is much to The Sound's story I've not mentioned here but I would advise reading up on them if you listen to the record after I've yammered on about it and enjoy it. As I've mentioned The Sound released 5 records, they are all different. 'From The Lion's Mouth' is the best known one, it's the album that should have made them huge, and didn't. I've decided to focus on Thunder Up, because it's probably the most accessible. It's also my favourite.

It opens with 'Accleration Group' a rowdy, fast paced song which lives up to it's name and should grab you within seconds. Followed by torch aloft ballad, 'Hand Of Love' it's a sternum breaking one - two punch of an opener. Elsewhere the yell of "make it kinetic" on 'Kinetic' will worm it's way into the internal jukebox, as will the upbeat and lively horns of 'Iron Years'.

It is a really uplifting album, despite it's sometimes darker lyrics. It's got a nostalgic tinge to it, but the overall feel is one of searching for, and reaching for joy. Nowhere is this better exemplified then in lyric to Iron Years. "I'm on your side, a friend deep inside. Like the times we were so close to joy, we were so close....... I know you will be there soon"

I could go on and on about this record. But I think it's best to just leave you with a spotify link and the ability to make up your own minds. See you tomorrow.

The Sound – Thunder Up

No comments:

Post a Comment